viernes, 27 de abril de 2012

 Welcome to Gijón !


It was the first day of October 2011 and, as the sun set on a warm Saturday evening, I received an unexpected phone call as I was walking up a steep hill road to Premier de Dalt, a small town situated just twenty minutes east of Barcelona. A man by the name of Jeremy was calling to see if I was interested in working for him in a town in the north of Spain called Gijón. I had never heard of this town before, so I did some research online the next day and gave the director of the English Centre a call back and accepted his job offer!

I met my good friend Uri that Sunday evening and we had a final drink before I got ready to pack my suitcase ahead of  an exciting new adventure in Asturias. Coincidentally, his beloved Barcelona F.C were playing Sporting de Gijón that night! I went to bed ahead of the longest commute to work of my life on Monday 3rd October: it involved waking up at 7am and taking a train to Barcelona, taking another train to the airport, flying to Asturias and, finally, getting on a bus to Gijón! I arrived in this unfamiliar town at 3pm, checked into my hotel, had a quick rest and started to teach at the English Centre at 4pm...it was certainly a day to remember!

That Monday marked an unforgettable start to what has been an extremely enjoyable and rewarding time in a wonderful town which will always have a place in my heart.....Gijón!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario